Did you know that 90% of the world’s data has been created in the last two years? But what good is so much data without being able to analyze it? Data science is the key science for studying data from big data. Thus, a digital strategy must have the support of data science in order to develop successfully. In this article we want to define some important concepts in relation to big data and data science and reveal the possibilities that the application of these sciences has in digital strategy .
Importance of big data and data science in digital strategy
Much is said today about big data and the essential of having it in the digital strategy. And no wonder: big data is a huge set of data waiting to be analyzed . Every click on a web page, every like on a social network, every form that is filled in online, every ebook that is downloaded … All digital actions leave a mark and big data is responsible for storing it and making it available to companies for be analyzed. However, there are 3 types of big data that are important to consider:
Types of big data
Smart data focuses on information related to the business and the achievement of its objectives, whether online or offline information.
Identity data is the type of big data that helps us identify customers , both current and potential customers. Information as valuable as the tastes of users, their buying habits, their history in relation to the company … allow you to create a digital strategy based on personalization.
Open data focuses on all open data, such as free software, free access files or open source …
The data science is the science that allows to analyze the data collected by the data big . It is necessary to store, prioritize, organize and polish the information that a company receives and for this it is essential to have experts in data science to carry out the digital strategy. Thus, the data science:
- safeguards and protects the data of an organization
- analyze data to get the most out of it
- helps streamline digital strategy decision making
Reasons to apply data science in digital strategy
Collecting and analyzing data has a major impact on a company’s sales and marketing results, as well as the overall functioning of the organization. Is it worth taking the step to big data and data science? The answer is emphatically yes, for the following reasons:
- Analyzing data helps in planning digital strategy and detecting market trends .
- Big data allows you to create personalized and customer-centric digital marketing strategies ( customer centric ).
- Sciences such as deep learning make it possible to predict the propensity of customers and analyze their behavior.
- The data science offers the possibility of helping in the creation of customer segments , according to their behavior or the type of user, for example.
- The analysis of the data offers possibilities of maximum precision, such as the ability to make decisions in real time , with the consequent saving of resources that this implies.
- Thanks to the analysis of the information, the data scientist is able to detect the possible loss of a customer and be able to react in time, creating the necessary action.
After this brief analysis of concepts, it is evident that the inclusion of big data changes the current business paradigm and makes data science gain prominence to achieve new objectives in the digital strategy . All this without forgetting the potential of a very young science: what will the future of big data hold? At Cognodata almost 20 years ago we detected that the future of marketing and sales was in the digital world and, therefore, today we can provide solutions to companies: from the creation of predictive models to the implementation of a digital strategy based on technology.