As a result of the digital transformation, companies have started to generate a large amount of data that they do not yet know how to process, manage and use. That is why the vast majority are looking for Big Data experts, such as data analysts, to interpret all that information collected and apply it appropriately for the benefit of the business.
If you want to know what this job consists of, what to study to be a data analyst and what are the technical and personal skills essential to practice this growing profession, read on.
WHAT IS A DATA ANALYST AND WHAT ARE THEIR FUNCTIONS?
The data analyst (or Big Data Analyst) is the professional profile in charge of extracting, statistically analyzing and processing large amounts of data (quantitative and qualitative), with the purpose of transforming them into information.
This is used to know the profile of customers and their habits, and is used when deciding the actions that a company must take to achieve its strategic objectives : publicize a product or service, increase sales, reduce costs, maintain business profitability, etc.
The main functions of a data analyst are:
- Collect data from a repository, analyze it and identify those that may be considered interesting in order to optimize business management and / or business strategy.
- Process the data, extract the value and draw conclusions / hypotheses that will serve as the basis for the strategies to be implemented.
- Generate reports and present them before company managers or those responsible for the corresponding department.
- Put the strategies into operation.
DATA ANALYST: WHAT TO STUDY?
Currently, the demand for Big Data experts in companies has grown considerably, specifically that of data analysts. This circumstance is leading many people to decide, with great success, to train in this area.
This new trend in the labor market is the reason why some business schools and universities, including the European University, have gone a step further and have made the decision to offer training that allows those interested to specialize and dedicate themselves professionally to data analysis.
Although originally this training offer had a more analytical and technological approach , ideal for experts with mathematical and statistical profiles , now it is also possible to find options with a more business nature , perfect for people who come from fields such as Engineering, Business Management and Humanities .
Therefore, if you wonder what to study to be a data analyst, you will be interested to know that you have different paths that, regardless of your studies or previous professional experience, will lead you to your goal: to become a Data Analyst.
In the case of the European University, our portfolio includes degrees with which you can train as a data analyst and, also, in other profiles related to Big Data . Some of them are:
- MASTER IN BIG DATA
- MASTER IN BIG DATA ONLINE
- MASTER IN BUSINESS ANALYTICS
- MASTER IN BUSINESS ANALYTICS ONLINE
- MASTER IN DATA SCIENCE
- COURSE IN BIG DATA ONLINE
- COURSE IN DATA SCIENCE ONLINE
- COURSE IN BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE ONLINE
SKILLS TO BE A DATA ANALYST
Aside from what to study to be a data analyst, another very common question is what qualities do you need to have to be a Data Analyst. Here we highlight some aspects:
- Updated knowledge of Mathematics, Statistics, Big Data and Web Analytics
- Experience with programming languages ??and databases: PYTHON , SQL or Cloud Computing, among others
- Management of data extraction and manipulation tools
- Data design and visualization
- Have business vision
- Capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Decision making
- Creativity and critical thinking
- Communicative skills
- Teamwork proactively
- Adaptation to change
Are you interested in data analysis and do you think you have all the characteristics that we have just mentioned? Do not hesitate and specialize in one of the professional careers that is currently booming:
In addition to our Masters and Courses, you can download our e-books for free to continue training on the subject: