Information Technology (IT) is playing an increasingly leading role in business development . Cloud computing in companies, for example, helps to manage day-to-day operations more efficiently, allows finding new business models, implementing more ambitious projects, rationalizing resources or accessing new market niches, all at an affordable cost. .
WHAT IS CLOUD COMPUTING AND WHAT IS IT FOR?
Cloud computing or cloud computing is a technology that allows remote access to software, data processing and file storage over the Internet . It does not demand the installation of applications locally, but offers services on a large scale thanks to connectivity. The main objective of cloud computing is to provide computing resources on demand in a simple, secure and flexible way , following a pay-as-you-go model.
One of the first commercial uses of cloud computing was to provide hosting of applications and services that users could access from anywhere. Later, cloud computing was enriched to make it easier for companies to unify the operations of the different branches and create collaborative work environments where employees could build projects together. Currently, Google Drive, Dropbox or Microsoft 365 are some examples of basic cloud computing available to anyone.
WHAT TYPES OF CLOUD COMPUTING ARE THERE?
- Public cloud. In the public cloud, the computing infrastructure is located on the provider’s premises and is managed by the provider, so that the customer does not have to purchase their own hardware, software or support infrastructure, although they can quickly add more users or more computing power if you need it. However, the cloud provider’s IT infrastructure is shared by multiple customers.
- Private cloud. A private cloud is for the exclusive use of an organization. This is usually an environment designed specifically for the end user, usually within your firewall, which can be hosted in your own organization or in the cloud provider’s data center. This cloud computing technology provides more security and control.
- Hybrid cloud. The hybrid cloud combines public and private clouds as the customer typically hosts critical applications on their servers for greater security and control, but stores secondary applications in a cloud provider environment.
- Multi-cloud. In the multicloud there are at least two cloud implementations of the same type, either public or private, but they come from different providers.
ADVANTAGES OF CLOUD COMPUTING IN COMPANIES
- Reduce infrastructure. Using cloud services allows companies to store data virtually and use the software they need without having to invest in their own large IT infrastructure.
- Reduce costs. Cloud computing eliminates the need to have its own physical storage or processing centers, as well as to hire personnel for maintenance and security. This reduces the company’s fixed costs, allowing you to pay only for the services you actually use.
- Maximum flexibility. Cloud computing users can request more resources at any time, so this technology accompanies the company as it grows and supports it during peak demand.
- Greater accessibility. The data stored in the cloud is accessible from any place and type of device since it is a multiplatform service, so that employees can work on projects from anywhere.
RISKS AND DRAWBACKS OF CLOUD COMPUTING
- Provider dependency. One of the main drawbacks of cloud computing is that you are dependent on the cloud provider and you have less control over your infrastructure and data. The business relies on the vendor to perform regular backups, preserve data, and keep the system running.
- Internet dependency. To access the software or information stored in the cloud, it is necessary to have a permanent connection to the internet. If the connection fails, is not stable, or is not fast enough, this technology will not work.
- Security issues. Although cloud providers make security updates and use reliable authentication methods, some sensitive data or critical business applications may not be as secure as on your own server.
Are you interested in the world of computing? With these programs you will be able to master the development of multiplatform applications , an area with excellent future prospects and employability: