In recent years, we have become more aware of the need to lead a healthier lifestyle, both for physical and mental well -being . In high schools and colleges, in the workplace, in gyms, and other social settings, we have resources and information at our disposal about the need to exercise, get adequate sleep, and eat a healthy diet . All of this information available to us is thanks to health education – the promotion of health to reduce injuries and illnesses.
In this post, we will look at the definition of health education and how Universidad Europea can help you achieve your goal of working in the health sector and educating people on how to make lifestyle changes. Some examples include studying our Master’s Degree in Online Clinical Nutrition or our Master’s Degree in Child and Adolescent Psychology .
The concept of health education: WHO
Although the idea that educating about health care issues is a proactive and cost-effective way to prevent disease has been around for a long time, it was the World Health Organization (WHO) that defined the term and also distinguished between health education and health promotion .
According to them, health education ” comprises consciously constructed learning opportunities that involve some form of communication designed to improve health literacy, including improving knowledge and developing life skills leading to individual and community health. ” “.
The term health promotion, created in the Ottawa Charter in 1986 , goes one step further, because it is the ” process of enabling people to increase control and improve their health “. In other words, it is about governments and other organizations creating and providing services and support to promote healthy lifestyles.
Why is health education important?
There are many reasons why health education is important, both for individuals and for society as a whole. Here are some of the key reasons:
- Health education improves the health status of individuals, families, communities, states, and the nation .
- Health education improves the quality of life of all people.
- Health education reduces premature deaths .
- By focusing on prevention, health education reduces the costs (both financial and human) that individuals, employers, families, insurance companies, medical facilities, communities, the state, and the nation would spend on medical treatment.
Who provides health education?
Because the field of health is very broad, there are many specializations, usually in which you will need to have a bachelor’s or master’s degree. For example, if you are interested in psychology, you could specialize with an online psychology degree . If you are interested in physical therapy, you can study for a degree in physical therapy or even specialize in the area of sports physical therapy .
What do health educators do?
No matter what area of ??health you work in, there are a number of general tasks involved in health education. These include:
- Struggling to find solutions to health-related problems
- Encourage healthy behavior
- Coordinate and implement health education programs.
- Manage health education programs and staff
- Assess individual and community needs
Where do health educators work?
The most obvious place where health education professionals work is in healthcare settings: hospitals, medical clinics, etc. They can communicate with patients about individual steps they need to take to lead a healthier lifestyle, create activities and incentives to encourage use of services, and consult with other health care providers.
However, there are many other places where you can work in the area of ??health education, including;
- Schools, Colleges, and Universities – Health services, health education for students, staff, and parents, and promoting healthy school and college environments and community partnerships.
- Businesses – Health educators perform or coordinate employee counseling and education services, employee health risk assessments, and health screenings. They design, promote, and direct programs on weight control, hypertension, nutrition, substance abuse prevention, physical fitness, and stress management.
- In community organizations and government departments , health educators help a community identify its needs, harness its problem-solving skills, and mobilize its resources to develop, promote, implement, and evaluate strategies to improve its own health status.
What to study at the European University?
The European University is a first level private university in Spain and recognized for our programs in the area of biomedical and health . We have programs for all profiles, from online courses to degrees and postgraduate degrees at our campuses in Madrid, Valencia and the Canary Islands . Check out our portfolio of programs and take the next step to become a key player in the field of health education.