Are you thinking of getting started in the music industry and would like to learn how to mix? You have come to the right place, as we have prepared a selection of the best DJ mixers for beginners.
Today, thanks to technology, learning to mix music is more accessible than ever. Gone is the need to invest a large amount of money to have at least two turntables, a mixer to connect them and a large vinyl collection. Without forgetting the time needed to find all the music and learn to handle the different controls or to synchronize the different tracks.
Now, thanks to the DJ mixers that we find on the market and to the computer software, the learning curve has decreased considerably, and for a much smaller investment it is possible to start in this world. Know more about summer gift ideas.
What is a DJ mixer?
If you have come this far it is because you are interested in this sector and want to start making your own mixes . But do you know what a DJ mixer really is?
A DJ mixer is the main element of any DJ’s setup , since thanks to it it is possible to control the music and create unique sounds that encourage the public.
And although at first glance the DJ mixer for beginners may seem very difficult to handle, due to all the controls and buttons that make it up depending on the model, the reality is that today, thanks to elements such as automatic synchronization or intelligent tracks , it is much easier to handle.
Tips for buying the best DJ mixers for beginners
In the market we can find a large number of brands and models , but you should not get carried away by a striking design or offer. Here are the key features to consider when buying a beginner DJ mixer: You might be interested in summer things.
It is recommended that beginner DJ mixers have no more than two channels to make getting started easier.
Little by little, as you develop your skills, you can expand your setup and acquire a mixer with more channels, although the reality is that many professional DJs never use more than two channels.
It is also very important when choosing a DJ mixer for beginners that it has an equalizer on each channel. Normally these are usually 3 bands, allowing control of high, medium and low frequencies.
By controlling the frequencies you can smoothly transition smoothly.
Another must-have for every beginner DJ mixer is a volume meter.
Thanks to this visual indicator, you can very easily control the output level of the music that is being played at that moment. It is very useful when matching the levels of the different tracks.
In addition, thanks to the volume meters we can prevent the sound system from being damaged by a redline , or what is the same, an excessive level of sound that causes distortion as the console is unable to control it. Learn more about summer stuff.
The jogwheels are the circular plates that allow you to control the tracks and make sound effects such as scratching. Its design imitates the traditional turntable plates where the vinyls are placed to be able to play them, although now, as everything is digital, it is not necessary to have records.
This element is essential in any beginner dj mixer if you want to do scratching, turntablism or beat-matching.
Faders and Crossfaders
The main controls on DJ mixers are called faders. These are generally classified into:
- Vertical Channel Faders: Responsible for adjusting the volume level of an individual track.
- Horizontal crossfader: used to mix between two different channels.
Normally, all consoles incorporate faders, but depending on the type of model and its quality, it may only include a control to regulate the volume.
When choosing the best DJ mixer for beginners, you have to check if it has a quality sound card , since it is responsible for processing the signal emitted by the player.
It will be enough if the audio interface that comes with the DJ table has 24 bits .
Although we can find mixers on the market that work without the need for any type of software, we recommend that when looking for the best DJ mixer for beginners, you choose one that includes the option of software support .
This option will considerably expand your range of possibilities to make mixes and be able to let your musical creativity fly.
Top 3 of the best DJ mixers for beginners
After knowing the most important features that every mixer must have, it is time to see which are the 3 best DJ mixers for beginners :
This is one of the best quality/price models in the beginner range of the renowned Pioneer brand. It features a stripped-down version of their flagship mixer at a much lower price.
It is fully licensed with Rekordbox, as well as including DVS and excellent FX integration. Thanks to its integrated 24-bit sound card, it offers high-quality sound , which, together with its 3-band faders and equalizers, make it one of the most complete on the market.
Pros of the Pioneer DJM 450
- Pioneer layout. Thanks to the easy and intuitive design of the brand, it is very easy to move to higher range equipment if you have started with this DJ mixer for beginners.
- Effects. It has a sample of effects with great sound quality, easy to use and that make it easier for you to take the step to a superior range of the brand.
- faders. Ideal for those DJs who like to do smooth transitions and scratch.
Cons of the Pioneer DJM 450
- connectivity. Connectivity options limited by the absence of a Booth output and the option of a TRS connection.
The Numark Scratch is characterized as an excellent DJ mixer for beginners thanks to its two channels, its three-band EQs, its in-line faders and its controls that allow very easy track changes .
Pros of the Numark Scratch
- Simple design. This mixer stands out for its simplicity and very intuitive design.
- Performance pads. It has a total of 4 pads for each channel.
- Effects. It has a very interesting and fun variety of effects that will allow you to make very creative mixes.
- Price. It has the main features that every beginner DJ mixer should have but at a very competitive price.
Cons of the Numark Scratch
- monochrome. Following the style of the Numark brand, all controls are marked with the color red.
Allen & Heath Xone 23
Its two channels, its solid construction, the great EQ or the UV sensitive markings are just some of the features that make this mixer a great choice as a DJ mixer for beginners.
Allen & Heath Xone 23 Pros
- Sound quality. Thanks to its integrated sound card this mixer offers a very clear and excellent sound.
- Design. Very solid construction with great attention to all the details that make it up.
- Microphone equalizer. It has a two-band equalizer to the microphone channel difficult to see in other models.
Cons of the Allen & Heath Xone 23
- Provision. Its control layout can confuse DJs accustomed to the more traditional layout of controls.
- Power supply. Being external, it can be impractical for those DJs looking for a table with great portability.